Varicose veins in the legs are a chronic condition in which blood flow is impaired due to weakening and malfunctioning of the venous valves. As a result of pathological processes, the blood stagnates in the veins, the vessels stretch and become thinner, edema occurs, and a feeling of heaviness in the legs. Treatment of varicose veins with folk remedies serves as a good addition to complex therapy and, along with medications, allows you to eliminate the unpleasant symptoms of the disease.
Women are more prone to varicose veins than men and suffer from this disease on average 3 times more often. In addition, WHO experts note that the disease has become significantly "younger" in recent years, its manifestations are often found even in young people. Folk remedies for varicose veins are the first that most patients resort to at the initial stage of the disease. These methods are time-tested and proven to be effective. However, it is best to use them after consulting a doctor and after confirming the diagnosis.
Causes of varicose veins in the legs
Why does varicose veins develop and what is the reason for the increase in morbidity? This is largely due to the lifestyle of a modern person. There are many reasons provoking the development of the disease:
- Hereditary predisposition. . . This factor accounts for up to a third of all cases of the disease. If any of the parents or grandmothers in the family suffers from varicose veins, then the risk of the disease increases to 70%. It is worth noting that it is not the disease itself that is inherited, but the structure of the veins: they can genetically have weak connective tissues, defective congenital valve development. For this reason, even young and active people may show signs of the disease.
- Hormonal imbalance.A natural factor that determines the tendency to venous disease is associated with hormonal imbalance. These conditions include puberty, menopause, pregnancy and childbirth. That is why the fairer sex is more susceptible to varicose veins. Female sex hormones (estrogen and progesterone) are able to destroy collagen fibers and provoke a violation of the tone of the vein walls.
- Inflammatory processes.With the localization of inflammation in the pelvic and genital organs, small veins are affected. As a result, a message opens between the veins and arteries, and this leads to a large volume of blood entering the veins. The valves do not withstand such pressure, as a result - the formation of varicose veins.
- Excessive physical activity.In the upright position, the vessels of the lower extremities experience a certain load. If a person suffers from obesity, or his professional activity is associated with hard physical work or prolonged stay on his legs, the veins suffer from excessive stress.
- Sedentary lifestyle.According to doctors, lack of physical activity, sedentary work leads to impaired blood circulation. Phlebologists have even come up with a professional term for this case - "computer varicose veins". If we are limited in movement and do not use the muscles of the foot and lower leg (which help to pump blood up), then the vascular tone decreases, the blood stagnates, and the venous pressure rises to critical levels.
- Additional factorsinclude concomitant diseases, flat feet, or features of the constitution of the body. It is noted that people of tall stature suffer from this disease more often.
These are the main reasons leading to venous damage. When the first alarming symptoms appear, you should seek the advice of a specialist and undergo an examination. If the diagnosis is confirmed, you should think about how to treat varicose veins with folk remedies and what drugs to take in order to slow down the progression of a dangerous ailment.
Signs of the disease
The first symptoms of impaired circulation are as follows:
- On the surface of the skin, there is the appearance of a "vascular network", which has a red-blue tint;
- There is pain, heaviness and burning in the legs;
- Itchy legs, tiredness in the afternoon;
- Cramps and numbness of the limbs in the morning or at night.
If you do not start early treatment, the symptoms of the disease will worsen:
- The surface of the skin in the lower leg area will darken, thicken, peeling will appear;
- Pain in the muscles of the legs increases while walking;
- Venous nodes will protrude under the skin;
With the appearance of edema of the legs, we can talk about the progressive nature of varicose veins. This is direct evidence that the deep veins are not performing their main function. At this stage, it is important to carry out complex treatment in order to avoid dangerous complications (thrombophlebitis, trophic ulcers).
Are folk remedies effective in treating varicose veins?
Varicose veins in the legs, like any other chronic disease, require long-term therapy. Many medications used today in the treatment of this disease have an impressive list of contraindications. In addition, therapy with anti-varicose drugs should be long-term, which means that toxic substances will accumulate in the body and have a negative effect on the functions of internal organs.
That is why the treatment of varicose veins on the legs with folk remedies at home is so popular among patients. Medicinal herbs and other natural components that are part of folk recipes do not show aggressive, toxic effects, they act gently, but effectively and allow you to achieve a lasting positive result.
In addition, medications for the treatment of varicose veins are usually not cheap and, with long-term therapy, can seriously undermine the family budget. Therefore, many patients prefer traditional medicine and time-tested recipes.
However, it should be remembered that the effectiveness of treatment with folk remedies depends on the stage of development of the disease. Homemade recipes do an excellent job with the first manifestations of varicose veins. In advanced cases, folk remedies are unlikely to help. They can only be used to enhance the effect of drug therapy and only after consulting your doctor.
Traditional medicine for varicose veins
Varicose veins have accompanied humanity since ancient times. That is why there are a huge number of alternative methods of treating pathology. After examining the reviews on the treatment of varicose veins on the legs with folk remedies, we offer an overview of the most effective and popular recipes.
Lotions and compresses
- Cabbage lotion.You need to take a head of cabbage (preferably tight). To prepare the lotion, they tear off several large leaves from it, sprinkle them with water and place in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, you just need to attach the sheets to the swollen veins and wrap the leg with an elastic bandage. The lotion can be left on the leg for 2-3 hours.
- Clay compress.This recipe requires green bentonite clay. It must be diluted with water and stirred until a thick, homogeneous gruel is obtained. The resulting mixture should be applied to the affected areas of the lower extremities. Keep the compress until the clay is completely dry, after which the composition is washed off with cool water.
- Wormwood lotion.It is necessary to grind the flowers or leaves of wormwood in such a way that a gruel is obtained. Next, pour the mixture with sour milk, soak the gauze with the resulting liquid and apply it to the affected area. You can close the lotion with cling film or cellophane. The application should be left on for 30 minutes, and the legs are best placed on a pillow and raised so that they are higher than the head. The procedure should be repeated daily, the duration of treatment is 4 days.
Folk remedies such as herbal decoction baths help relieve leg fatigue, swelling, and increase vascular tone.
- Mint, thyme and valerian.All herbs must be mixed in equal proportions. Take 30 g of the herbal mixture, pour 400 ml of boiling water and leave for 20 minutes, then strain. Next, pour the tincture into a bowl of warm water and immerse your feet in it. The duration of the procedure is 30 minutes.
- Nettle, birch and burdock. . . Here, too, all components are mixed in equal volume. Next, 500 ml of boiling water is added to 30 g of the finished raw material and cooked over low heat for 10 minutes. The strained broth is added to a container of warm water and the feet are immersed in it for half an hour.
- Flax seeds.To prepare a healing infusion, you will need 40 g of flax seed, which should be poured over 1 liter of boiling water. The composition is insisted for 35 minutes, after which the filtered infusion is poured into a bowl of warm water. Feet in such a bath should be kept for about 20 minutes.
- Elderberry and peppermint. . . To prepare the broth, you need to mix both ingredients in a 1: 1 ratio, take 50 g of the mixture and pour 2 liters of boiling water over it. The herbal mixture should be boiled for 7 minutes, then filtered and poured into a bowl of warm water. Keep your feet in the bath for 25 minutes.
Folk remedy - ointment for the treatment of varicose veins is usually used to treat the affected areas after foot baths.
- Calendula ointment. . . To prepare a homemade ointment, you need to take fresh calendula flowers and finely chop them with a knife. After that, melt 100 g of lard (lard) in a small saucepan and pour the vegetable mass into it. All this must be brought to a boil, but not boiled! Then turn off the heat and let the mixture brew for 20 minutes. Next, strain it through cheesecloth and pour into a clean jar. Store the ointment in the refrigerator. Rub into the affected areas twice a day: morning and evening.
- Garlic ointment. . . To prepare it, you need to pass a few cloves of garlic through the garlic press. Mix a teaspoon of the resulting gruel with 50 g of butter. Warm up the mixture for several minutes in a water bath and transfer to a clean jar. It is best to treat diseased limbs with such an ointment in the evening. After applying the composition, wrap your legs with cling film and put on warm pants or pajamas. In the morning, wash off the ointment with warm water.
- Onion peel ointment. . . 100 g of onion husks should be dried and ground into powder. Pour the resulting powder with vegetable oil (100 ml) and add apple cider vinegar (20 ml). Leave the ointment for 2 weeks in a dark place, away from sunlight. After that, it can be used to treat the affected areas.
- Ointment and laundry soap.The soap must be grated and melted in a water bath. Next, mix one tablespoon of liquid laundry soap with 20 g of ointment. You can also add honey, onion juice, Kalanchoe and a little pork lard to the mixture. Mix all ingredients and heat in a water bath for 10 minutes. The result should be a homogeneous, thick mass. This ointment is used for compresses, applied at night, under a film.
Often one of the causes of varicose veins is the lack of essential vitamins and minerals in the body. Recipes for various tinctures and decoctions for oral administration help compensate for the lack of these substances, strengthen immunity and accelerate the therapeutic effect in treating the disease.
- Nettle.Pour 20 g of dry nettle with 500 ml of boiling water. The mixture should cool for 40 minutes, and the grass should settle to the bottom. Next, you need to drain about half of the liquid, filter it and drink 100 ml after meals.
- Horse chestnut.To prepare the tincture, you will need 500 ml of alcohol or vodka, as well as 50 g of chestnut fruits. They need to be crushed, filled with alcohol or vodka, tightly covered with a lid and removed to a dark place for 2 weeks. The finished tincture is filtered and taken three times a day, 25 ml before meals.
- Hop.You will need a few hop cones. Pour boiling water over them and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. It is enough to take 400 ml of boiling water for 20 g of plant materials. You need to take the resulting broth after meals, 200 ml 3 times a day for a month.
Contraindications in the treatment of varicose veins with folk remedies
Folk recipes for the treatment of varicose veins are not recommended for the following conditions:
- The advanced stage of the disease. If swelling, blockage of veins, convulsive phenomena are observed, it is inappropriate to use traditional medicine. In such cases, the only correct solution would be surgery.
- Intolerance to the components. Some patients may experience local allergic reactions to herbs and other ingredients used to make lotions, compresses, ointments or baths.
- Damage to the surface of the skin. The composition of ointments and compresses often contains components that can cause itching, burning and irritation if there are small wounds and microcracks on the skin. You should also abandon the use of folk remedies for eczema and dermatitis, since their use can aggravate the situation and provoke unwanted complications.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Some of the traditional medicines are taken orally and may be contraindicated for gastritis, stomach ulcers. This must be taken into account in patients with problems associated with lesions of the digestive tract.
Remember that any, even the most effective folk remedy for treating varicose veins, may have contraindications for a particular patient. Therefore, before using them, be sure to consult your doctor.
- The first comment: "I inherited varicose veins from my mother. In my youth, I did not observe any manifestations, but after giving birth, the veins came out on my legs. Then the pains began, because of which I did not even sleep at night. I began to treat almost immediately, and veryfolk recipes helped a lot. In particular, I made baths with nettles, after which I applied garlic ointment. The treatment is so long, but the result is very good. It is recommended not only to treat the legs, but also to monitor your diet: I excluded fatty foods from the diet. meat and smoked meats. Usually the course treatment lasts a month, after which I take a break for a couple of weeks. Already used to this way of life, and my legs no longer bother me. It is just important to start treatment on time. "
- The second review: "I am one of those who can talk about varicose veins as an occupational disease. I have been working as a salesman for many years, I have to spend the whole day on my feet. Over time, all this resulted in a diagnosis - varicose veins. The doctor prescribed me various ointments andThere were many side effects: I just could not tolerate the drugs, the body did not take them well. I turned to traditional medicine, and now the condition of my legs is much better. I used many different recipes, but ointments and lotions helped most of all. Mixed flowersWormwood with sour milk and applied to the sore spot. In addition, twice a day I treated my legs with ointment based on calendula. After two weeks of regular treatment I saw the first improvements: my legs stopped swelling, the pain subsided and it became easier to walk. Now I periodically carry out the same procedures. and the disease doesn't bother you anymore. "
- The third tip: "I never believed in folk remedies and used only what the doctors prescribed. But when even a specialist recognized the weak effect of drug therapy and prescribed folk remedies as a supplement, I had to try them too. I made baths and smeared my feet with ointment preparedLater, tinctures for oral administration were used. At the same time I took medications that had been prescribed by the doctor earlier. I began to feel improvements and after a month of such treatment, finally, a healing effect appeared. I think that folk remedies are excellent in the treatment of varicose veins onlegs, but only if the treatment is complex. "
- The fourth tip: "Someone folk recipes help with varicose veins, and someone talks about their complete uselessness. The second category of people, probably, are trying to treat the advanced stage of the disease in the" grandmother's way ". In this case, of course, there will be no positive effect. I also used various recipes in the treatment of my varicose veins and I can say that various alcohol, cabbage lotions, ointments based on calendula and garlic are excellent for the initial manifestations of the disease. I managed to get rid of all the signs of the disease, but none of this helped my mother, because her disease had already progressed noticeably. She needed surgery. On my own I can advise traditional medicine to those who have just discovered signs of varicose veins. "